Amber teething jewellery

Amber beads are often sold as so-called baby “teething” aids in the form of jewellery.  Never use amber teething jewellery such as necklaces, bracelets and anklets as relief for babies that are teething. Amber teething jewellery products are unsafe for babies, and pose several serious risks:

  • Amber teething necklaces, bracelets and anklets pose a potential choking/inhalation hazard to any child under three years of age.
  • The jewellery normally contains many small amber beads which can come loose from the string and be swallowed or inhaled, which could cause choking.
  • Even if the parts do not break off, amber necklaces, bracelets and anklets are small enough to be swallowed whole by a small child or baby.
  • The amber beads used in this type of jewellery can very easily shatter into smaller parts which can lead to chocking.
  • You should never put any kind of cord, string or chain jewellery around a baby’s neck.

Suppliers and retailers are warned that the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission considers these products inherently unsafe and will take appropriate action to remove these products from sale. 

If you become aware of a retailer selling these items of jewellery as a remedy for teething infants, please contact the Commission's Product Safety Unit at 01-4025550 or email productsafety@ccpc.ie

 

Back to top